Pomelo Hibiscus Saison

It has been FAR too long since last I posted. Sorry about that,internet!

Beer things have been going on,beer was brewed and consumed,lots of life happend and too much bloody work threw spanners all over the place.

​This brew had been in the planning stages since March.

Now,true to style,I do a write up with only two bottles left. Sorry for the rubbish glassware in the beer shot; I took the pictures at my in-law’s, where all of my good glasses have been broken.

12 litre brew

OG 1.042  FG 1.001  IBUs 36(I like more hops)

35% each Weyermann Pilsner and Vienna malt

10% each table sugar,wheat malt and quick cook oats

30gr Archer whole hops at 60mins and another 20gr at 20 mins.

Yeast; TYB Wallonian Farmhouse

other stuff; 50gr dried Hibiscus flowers steeped at flame out for 15 minutes. Peel of a 2kg Pomelo. 2 Swanson Lacto Plantarum capsules.


Colour; orange/gold with pink/red hue. Would have been crystal clear had it not been shaken up in the car.

​Aroma: yoghurt like tartness,huge Pomelo fruit and peel,wonderful dirty saison yeast character from Wallonian Farmhouse(cannot think of a better way to put it) and a hint of Hibiscus tea. The base beer is still there,but quiet.


Taste; Archer hops come through in a vague hoppy kind of way, paired with the Hibiscus up front,but they give way quite quickly to the Pomelo, which rapidly covers the palate with a special kind of fruit related bitterness,which compliments the hop bitterness,and lingers.

The yeast comes through at every step of the way, but in a way that is harmonious with the other ingredients.

​Brew day went as per usual until the boil. I brought the whole volume to a boil and waited 10 minutes. At this point I took out 4ltr of wort and allowed it to cool to 40c before I sprinkled in the contents of two Swanson Lacto Plantarum capsules. I let this portion of the wort sour for three days.

After three days of souring,the non-hopped piryion was added to the already fermenting 2/3 of the already hopped beer.

Back to the main boil; at flame out I added 50gr of dried Hibiscus flowers,which was going to be 100gr  until I got cold feet.

After 7 days at 21c in the fermentation fridge,the beer was taken out and allowed to come up to 30c.

At day 14 I added the peel of a two kg Pomelo from my father-in-law’s farm. I let ot sit like that for 5 days before bottling.

​Early on I thought that I had gone WAY over the top with the peel and maybe ruined the bloody beer. But after a month in the bottle it is perfect with regards to the Pomelo peel.

This WILL be brewed again, but next time with the original 100gr og flowers I had planned for and I will sour 1/2 of the batch instead of 1/3.

Note; no Lacto was hurt by way of boiling in the production of this beer.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s